Wednesday, March 9, 2011

From Dad

It is impossible to describe how I felt while Steph was going through Labour.  We were both exhausted, hungry and impatient, but at the same time I was so proud of her for what she was going through for our family.  When it finally came time to push, it was just the two of us for the majority of the time and I will never forget it.  I was overwhelmed with pride and happiness. 

When Sydney finally arrived, I was trying so hard to see if she was indeed a she.  I still remember our doctor saying "it's a girl".  Before she could finish her next sentence I was already saying, "Hi Sydney".  The doctors clamped the cord and I was ready with scissors to make the cut.  They immediately put Sydney onto Steph's chest and all I could do was say her name over and over again, staring at both of my girls and loving both of them more than ever before.  I followed Sydney everywhere. Over to the warmer and weigh station and finally back to mom.  All of the exhaustion and hunger was forgotten and all I could think about was taking care of my family. 

I remember thinking ok we are done, now time for a break.  Not the case at all... you quickly remember you have a family to take care of, but it is ok because you have a family to take care of. 

It is an amazing feeling watching your wife go through this experience and then holding your little girl in your arms, knowing that she is yours.  Knowing that everything you do for the rest of your life, she will be there to watch, learn, imitate, and teach her own family. 

Now almost a month old, I cannot wait to get home from work to see my favorite girls.  I cannot wait for the weekend to come so that I can lay in bed for hours Saturday and Sunday morning cuddling with my family.  She is only a month old and is already my favorite little girl.

D

No comments:

Post a Comment