Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sydney Gets Her Ears Pierced

This past weekend was an exciting one. It was Sydney's first Easter and David had four full days off to spend with us. We were so excited about having a ton of family time and made great use of every moment together.

One of the things we knew we wanted to do was get Sydney's ears pierced. I had mine done when I was very young and we had heard good things about getting them done at a younger age. I knew that I would not be able to handle seeing her actually get pierced so David dropped me off to shop and he went to get them done.

After a few tears and some Tylonel she was absolutely fine. It was as if it had never happened. They have been healing really well and we don't expect any issues with them. Best of all... she looks super cute!

We officially have a super girly girl.

S

1 comment:

  1. Was searching for a GF's blog and came across yours. Started reading and came across your post about agonizing about having your baby dd's ears pierced. I think you were a smart mommy for piercing your dd’s ears early.

    Admittedly, I know a lot of people have strong feelings when to pierce a child’s ear. “Let them decide” is being replaced by parental
    decision when mommy intuition knows, “earlier is better” from either personal or friend’s experiences of unpleasant childhood ear piercing.

    I think it just depends on your own personal choice whether or not you wish your baby or little girl to have pierced ears.

    Initially, I was unsure too, but asked our ped for her opinion about having our dd's ears pierced. She reached in her pocket and took out a picture of her six month little girl with gold balls in each ear, saying," ...this is what I think." She encouraged me to go ahead and said it was best as an infant when mommy could care for them. She has never had a baby with a pierced ear infection, but has had quite a few older girls ages 2-5 who said they wanted it done, but failed to care for them. She gave me some " Care Tips for Newly Pierced Ears " since she had so many moms ask about having their infants and little girls ears pierced.

    Like you, I was almost having an anxiety attack when I took Sandi to have her ears pierced. I know cerebrally, as mothers of girls of all
    ages, we know it celebrates their femaleness and femininity. After all, they are little girls, right? Growing up I remember many of my
    little girlfriends were not allowed to get their ears pierced. I could never understand it…but when their parents did finally let them, it always seemed they’d get infected because they were constantly touching them or trying to change out the earrings before they were supposed to.

    Congrats on making a great decision on behalf of your dd. She'll thank you later for the "gift of pierced ears" as an infant. If you or any mom would like any of our ped’s care tips for infants, then don’t hesitate to write me an e-mail.

    Amy
    amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete