Monday, October 24, 2011

Homemade Baby Food

When I found out that I was pregnant, one of the things that I knew I wanted to do was feed Sydney homemade food only. I have always worried about what is put into store bought baby foods and knew that by making my own, I was managing the quality of the food she ate.

My parents bought me a baby bullet to get things started and by four months she was eating homemade brown rice cereal. We started with one meal a day. She would get rice for breakfast and milk the rest of the day. One month in we started to mix in fruits and vegetables with the rice and we introduced supper. A few weeks ago we introduced meat into her diet for the first time. She loves everything that we give to her and she packs away an astonishing amount of food.

~Sydney's food "Drawer" in the freezer.~

~Our packed freezer with Sydney's food "Drawer" on the bottom right.~
Making her food has taken some dedication and planning. There were many days when I thought of just running out to the store to pick up jars of baby food instead of making our own because I didn't want to do the work. When we travel we use organic store bought food, but soon she will just share meals with us.

I strongly recommend homemade baby food to any new mom. It has saved us a mountain of money and I feel great knowing that Sydney is getting all of the nutrition that she needs.

The newest item on the menu this week is orzo pasta with homemade "marinara sauce". The sauce is made of steamed tomato, steamed carrot and steamed red pepper. Everything was frozen into ready to eat single portions. Perfect for a little tummy!

~Frozen pasta portions~

~Frozen pasta portions~
S


No comments:

Post a Comment