Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book Review ~ Sophie Kinsella

With all of the travelling we have done lately and all of the time I spend commuting on the LRT and reading over lunch, I have managed to finish almost all of the books from my favorite chick lit author.

Sophie Kinsella is hilarious. I often find that I can identify with her main characters. I am not saying that I have a shopping problem (only a small one) or that I often take on more than I can handle (only every so often), but I definitely find myself giggling at things that I would totally do. Here are a few of the books I have read in the last month and a half:



I managed to finish "I've Got Your Number" while we were in Hawaii. It was such a cute, easy read. Much of the narrative takes place through series of text messages and emails that had me laughing out loud. It was a modern way to tell the story of a quirky and often awkward romance. I honestly could not put this one down. I would get super excited every time I had a minute to read. I completely recommend this one.


As some of you may know, I am a bit of a domestic goddess myself. I thrive on making well prepared meals, playing the role of uber mommy and ensuring that my family is well taken care of. The main character in the "Undomestic Goddess" is the complete opposite. Inept in the kitchen and incapable of cleaning, she is a lawyer who finds herself in a sink or swim situation. Reading about her struggles to find her domestic side and her epic cooking and cleaning failures made for a hilarious story. I literally found myself giggling on the LRT reading this one.... completely embarrassing.


I loved "Remember Me". It was a little bit slower to build up than the others but it was truly romantic. The main character gets into an accident and forgets the last 7 years of her life. It is then up to the people in her life to help her remember who she is... including the men in her life.


The main character in "Can You Keep a Secret" has a serious problem being honest with the people in her life. She is always out to make everyone happy and often forgets about herself. When her secrets all come out during a near death experience on a plane ride her whole life changes. Funny and easy to read, this book was perfectly entertaining during my boring lunch hours.


I am almost done " Mini Shopaholic". I love it so far. I share a lot of the same feelings as the main character Becky. It is very difficult to not break the bank on cute little girls clothing when you have a daughter and her constant need to ensure that her husband is happy is something that I completely understand.

I believe that I only have one of Sophie Kinsella's books left to read. "Twenties Girl" will be the last for me.... Sophie, won't you hurry up and write another one for me please?

Mrs. E

No comments:

Post a Comment