Monday, May 6, 2013

Mastitis Sucks

Well.... it's official. I have horrible luck with post partum recovery. 

After having Sydney I had a very bad infection on my tail bone that required surgery to repair. After Henry I thought I was in the clear. I was feeling great and recovering quickly....until Friday night. I started to feel sick and sore and I really could not figure out why. I woke up Saturday morning after a night of shaking and sweating to a fever and a very sore left breast. There was no doubt that it was mastitis. 

For those of you who don't know much about breastfeeding, it means that one or several of my milk ducts are blocked and causing an infection. I called in to the Healthy Beginnings hotline for new mothers and they told me to go to the doctor as soon as possible. After waiting at the medi centre for a couple of hours he formally diagnosed the problem and prescribed me some antibiotics. 

The only way to fix the problem is to keep feeding Henry through the pain, taking the medication, heat and massage. In the mean time I am left with one super sore boob and one major pain in the butt. 

Crap.

Mrs. E

No comments:

Post a Comment