Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Modern Quilting ~ A Remembrance Day Mini

Some of you may know that I have joined the Edmonton Modern Quilt Guild.

I have been so excited to join for a while now and in August my neighbour Ronda and I went to our first meeting. She is also an avid quilter and it was nice to walk into a meeting with a friend. We generally meet to discuss charity projects, organize swaps, talk about our current projects, show and tell and listen to the occasional guest speaker. It is a great open forum to ask questions or look for suggestions and I love that I get to be a mega quilt nerd once a month. 

We generally organize swaps each month and try to theme them based on the time of year. Last month we created Remembrance Day themed items to trade. I put together this beautiful 12 inch squared mini quilt complete with hanging pockets on the back. I hand cut each of the poppies and appliqued them on using a straight stitch so that they would have a rough edge. I finished it all up with some echo quilting and hand binding. I found the fabric for the back while I was in Phoenix with Dave and I think it its perfectly! 

Here is the only problem about making something you love so much for a swap... you don't wait to part with it! I ended up deciding not to take part in the swap... so this beauty is now hanging on my wall in the studio... oops! Maybe when I make the frozen/ice themed item for December I will able to let go of it. 








Mrs. E

No comments:

Post a Comment